3 Rs

Ready

Reliable

Reasonable

Monday, October 13, 2014

Tremor

My Benign Essential Tremor started when I was about nine or ten years of age. I used to build model planes out of plastic as opposed to wood because I experienced difficulty carving the balsa to the desired shape. I don’t recall if I had tremors when working with wood. I do recall having difficulty putting the small sails and thread-like webbing on the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria, my first models when I was a boy. Plastic pieces that fit into each other with a male and female connection were easier to assemble than playing with wood.

My tremor was dianosed as a neurologic movement disorder by Dr. Michael Stuparyk in 1983. He referred to it as a benign essential tremour, It is characterized by involuntary fine rhythmic tremor of my left arm and hand. It has affected my head slightly, and as I entered my senior years it has affected my voice, tongue, and the roof of my mouth (palate), which at times makes it difficult to articulate speech. In retrospect, when I was in Grade 5, I had to attend a special class after school for an hour. My teacher told me that I wasn’t articulating my words clearly. It was referred to as Speech Class, or that’s what I remember it being called.

My neurosurgeon, Dr.Andres M Lozano of Toronto Western Hospital   simply calls it an Essential Tremor. Benign is usually associated with person s who have a growth that is non-cancerous. That may be why the word 'benign" was dropped.

Unlike people with Parkinson’s disease, the Essential Tremor is non-life threatening. Tremors increase in amplitude with age, usually starting in the forties. In my case, manipulating utensils and drinking liquids from a glass is a challenge.

I was in a restaurant one time and the waitress asked what we wanted to drink. I replied, “I’ll have an apple juice with a straw.” The other three of my colleagues ordered coffee. She looked at me funny and said, “Would you like the kiddie’s menu as well?” I replied with no facial expression and looked her right in the eyes, “I’ll have an apple juice with a straw, please.” I didn’t get upset with her. She didn’t know. I wasn’t offended at all. Some people are ignorant of the disabilities of others. Besides, to put the scene into context, we were joking and laughing before she popped the question. As we ate our breakfast and she noticed my tremors, as I spotted her in my peripheral vision, she had a hurt look on her face bordering on remorse. Poor woman.

Before my deep brain implant to control my tremors, I stopped going out to restaurants. It was just too embarrassing. I changed my attitude with the implant. Although my tremors have come back, I still go to restaurants. If it’s a buffet, I get the person in front of me to put food on my plate People are genuinely nice. They have made my life easier and I am grateful.

This piece about my tremor is an introduction to what is to come. I am going to post videos on YouTube with me building my pneumatically controlled Canadarm, piece by piece. It will be a mini-how-to-series especially for people with tremors. We have to feel useful and that we can contribute something. I am fortunate. I have conducted science workshops for children and adults on how to build my Canadarm. It is great fun.

I have a workshop coming up on Saturday, November 15, 2014 from 2:15-3:15 pm. The following is posted on the on-line flyer: " Pneumatic models such as: Front end loaders, Hickory Dickory Dock clock, Brakes and Tow Truck models will be demonstrated. Participants will build a miniature pneumatic controlled Canadarm to take home." (Resource: www.stao.ca/program).

No comments:

Post a Comment